Symptoms and treatment of Calcium Deficiency
Calcium is an important mineral for keeping our body strong and healthy. It is necessary for the development of bones and teeth. It also helps in controlling the activities of muscles and nervous system and also controls the blood pH balance.
Calcium is most commonly present in other body than other minerals. About 99 percent of this is present in our bones and teeth. The other 1 percent is in our blood, muscle and other parts of the body.
How much calcium you need for the body depends on your age and your gender (man or woman). According to age, how many calcium is required for our body, its table is given below –
0 to 6 months – 200 mg / day
7 to 12 months – 260 mg / day
1 to 3 years – 700mg / day
4 to 8 years – 1000mg / day
9 to 18 years – 1300 mg / day
19 to 50 years – 1000mg / daily
51 to 70 years – 1000mg / day
71+ years – 1200 mg / day
Due to the lack of calcium, the bones are becoming thin and weak and the likelihood of osteoporosis increases. Other symptoms of calcium deficiency are muscle spasms, memory loss, depression, body numbness, and wrinkle in the hands.
You can remove calcium deficiency by making slight changes in your diet and lifestyle. Here are the 10 most effective measures to cure calcium deficiencies –
1. Consume more calcium-rich substances
The easiest and important step to increase the level of calcium in the body is to consume calcium-rich substances. The following is the list of calcium-rich substances –
Reduced fat milk
Milk products such as curd and butter
Dark green leafy green greens like vegetables such as spinach, cauliflower, shazam green collard
Soybean and other foods made from it
2. Enjoy morning sunlight
By taking 10 to 15 minutes of sunshine every morning, the body gets the Vitamin D necessary. During this, keep in mind that more and more organs of your body should have direct sunlight. Vitamin D helps the body absorb more calcium than food.
Keep in mind – Do not fall in the direct sunlight (between 10 AM and 4 PM) at noon and use a sunscreen cream before leaving the house.
3. Drink foods containing vitamin D
Take vitamin D through the sun as well as eat foods containing vitamin D. Some foods containing vitamin D are: fatty fish, milk, cereals, paneer, egg, butter etc. You can also take Vitamin D supplements (tablets) by taking vitamins through the advice of your doctor.
4. Consume magnesium-containing substances
Magnesium is also the essential nutrient for the absorption of calcium. Therefore, due to lack of magnesium, there may be a shortage of calcium in the body. Since our body does not store magnesium, therefore regular intake of magnesium-rich substances is necessary.
The best sources of magnesium are: spinach, gooseberry, mustard greens, broccoli, avocado, cucumber (cucumber), green beans, whole grains, kadudu seeds, sesame seeds, almonds and cashews.
5. Supplement Calcium
You can also take calcium supplements to meet the daily calcium needs of the body. It is easily available in the market in the form of tablets, capsules, syrups and powders.
The appropriate amount of dose depends on your age, so consult your doctor before taking it. For proper absorption of the dose, take it with meals or after eating.
Note – Take high daisy doses of calcium supplements can lead to heart damage and other side effects on the body.
To meet the shortage of calcium, adopt the above measures and reduce the intake of foods below –
1. Do not drink a drink soda
Drinking soda and eating soda can interfere with the absorption of calcium in the body, so avoid excessive use of it.
High intake of drinking soda increases the level of phosphate in the blood. With more phosphate in the blood, calcium gets depleted in the bones and calcium emissions increase in urine. High phosphate level also prevents calcium absorption
2. Do not consume more caffeine
Many people start their day with drinking a strong coffee. But if you have a lack of calcium then you will have to leave this habit. Caffeine decay calcium from the surface of the bones and dilute them.
According to a research published in the International Journal of Osteoporosis 2006, drinking 4 cups of coffee daily increases the likelihood of osteoporotic fracture.
Do not consume more than two cups of coffee a day. To reduce the effects of caffeine in your body, take coffee with milk. To keep your body healthy, you should use the habit of drinking green tea or other herbal tea instead of coffee. Also, do not take other caffeinated substances.
3. Avoid excessive consumption of sodium
Excessive consumption of salt can also cause calcium deficiency. So eat less salt to increase your calcium level.
When the level of sodium is high in the body, calcium absorption decreases. Not only this, the amount of calcium decay increases by urine due to sodium.
To make your food more tasty, use spices and herbs instead of salt. Also do not consume processed foods because they contain excessive sodium.